Friday, September 3, 2010

Latin II

Salvete! It's been a fun week. We've really been working hard on reviewing sentences and sentence structure. We reviewed the 2nd conjugation verbs (those ending in -ere).

We have begun to learn Psalm 23 in Latin. This is no small task! We will read a new line or two each class until we are able to read the entire 17 lines. See for yourself, this is not an easy passage to learn! I'm so proud!

Psalmus 23
Dominus pascit me, et nihil mihi deerit;
in pascuis virentibus me collocavit,
super aquas quietis eduxit me.
Animam meam refecit.
Deduxit me super semitas iustitiae propter nomen suum.
Nam et si ambulavero in Valle umbrae Mortis,
non timebo mala, quoniam Tu mecum es,
virga Tua et baculus Tuus,
ipsa me consolata sunt.
Parasti in conspectu meo mensam
adversus eos, qui tribulant me;
impinguasti in oleo caput meum,
et calix meus redundat.
Etenim benignitas et misericordia subsequentur me
omnibus diebus vitae meae,
et inhabitabo in Domo Domini
in longitudinem dierum.

And if all that wasn't enough we've added some new vocabulary words:
me--me, my, myself
quid--what
nihil--nothing
non--not
saepe--often
si--if
cogitare--to think, to consider
debere--to owe; ought, must
errare--to wander; to make a mistake
monere--to warn, to advise
servare--to save, to guard
terrere--to frighten, terrify
videre--to see